Sample Scripts for Setting Up a Meeting with a Legislator
Our mission: Optimize the health of Texans through food and nutrition.
The following scripts should help guide you along the process as you begin to set up meetings with members of Texas Congress for this year’s Nutrition Day at the Capitol. Below is a sample phone and e-mail script. Remember to personalize your message as each Congressional office is different.
Tips on how to make the request
- Call the office and ask for the scheduler to make the request.
- State your name, your purpose and describe why you and your colleagues will be in Austin – If your district association has had any contact or relationship with the member of Congress, be sure to mention it during the request.
- State that you are requesting a half-hour of meeting time. State that most likely you will be bringing a group of dietitians from the district along with you to the meeting. As PPW approaches and you begin to finalize your attendance numbers you will be able to contact either the scheduler or policy staffer and confirm the meeting numbers.
- The scheduler may ask for additional information, so be prepared. If you have, follow up with the scheduler via e-mail, with any requested materials on the issues – If you need more information, contact the firstname.lastname@example.org
- With regards to the House – remember, when making these requests, make sure to mention if you or someone you know who is coming to Nutrition Day at the Capitol is from the Congressman/woman’s district. A member is more likely to want to take a meeting from someone who lives in the district than someone who simply lives in their state.
Sample Phone Script (with scheduler)
Hello my name is _____________ and I’m a registered dietitian from the Congressman/woman’s district. I’m a member of the Texas Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics who mission is to optimize the health of Texans through food and nutrition.
The Texas Academy will be having its biennial advocacy workshop on March 29 where a number of registered dietitians from the Congressman/woman’s state will be coming to Austin to talk about food and nutrition-related policy.
I would like to schedule a meeting on March 29 in the afternoon (mention that you’ll be bringing a group of registered dietitians from the district with you) to discuss the Academy’s positions on a number of important food and nutrition-related issues. Is there a good time on the 29th when we can meet? Thank you.
Sample e-mail: (if scheduler asks for your request in writing)
My name is _________ and I am a registered dietitian from the Congressman/woman’s home district. I’m a member of the Texas Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics who mission is to optimize the health of Texans through food and nutrition. On March 29th, the Texas Academy will be hosting its yearly advocacy day– where dietitians from all over the state come to Austin and work on being more effective advocates on food and nutrition policy.
We would greatly appreciate your staff’s time to briefly discuss how we as dietitians are working to accomplish these same goals every day. Please let me know which time on the 29th would work best for you and your staff. If you have any additional questions on the bills or nutrition issues please let me know.