The Texas Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics awards are a great opportunity to recognize, reward, and showcase individuals who have made an outstanding contribution to the dietetics profession, region, and the state association. See below for instructions for the award nomination and submission process.
2021-2022 Award Nomination Packets are due
Monday, November 15 by 11:59 pm to Region Awards Coordinators
For a summary of all awards, as well as eligibility and application requirements, click here.
A Few Important Points:
- Nominees must be academy members at the time their application is submitted. The exception is for the Bluebonnet Award and Media Award. Students receiving an award must be a member by January 1, 2022.
- All award applications require a resume and letters of recommendation, so start early with the process!
- Texas Academy and Academy Affiliate Awards can only be awarded once to the same person.
1) Eligibility requirements:
Review the eligibility requirements for each award and verify that you/your nominee meets the criteria. See the award descriptions in the links.
2) To nominate a colleague.
A. Inform the nominee directly (via email, etc.) of your nomination and the award for which they are qualified. The nominee has the choice to accept or decline the nomination and complete the packet. The nominator should inform their Region Awards Coordinator of the nomination. (It is up to the discretion of the nominator to assist with the packet.) Please note that the Texas Academy Media Award also requires a nomination letter from the nominator.
3) You can also nominate yourself by completing a packet!
4) Compiling the packet:
• Application packet instructions and requirements for each award can be found within the descriptions at the links below and on eatrighttexas.org.
• Nominees are responsible for gathering all required documentation for a complete, typed packet by the deadline.
• Convert and compile into one PDF document. Name the file using the following format: Last Name_ First Name_Award name_ Region. Example: Doe_Jane_DistinguishedDietitianAward_Northeast.pdf.
5) Submitting the packet:
- Nominees (including self-nominated) submit a completed packet to the appropriate Region Awards Coordinator by November 15 @ 11:59 pm. Once you submit the packet you will receive a confirmation email from your Region Awards Coordinator within 7 days. If you don’t receive an email, reach out to them in a separate email.
- Submit the packet by email, to the nominee’s appropriate Region Awards Coordinator (determined by the nominee’s residential address) on or before the due date of Monday, November 15th by 11:59 pm. Use this due date, regardless of any other date written in any other document or website.
Scoring of Nominations
Members of the Nominating/Awards Committee will score packets using a standardized rubric. Scoring criteria for each award category are in the awards descriptions. The Texas Academy Awards Coordinator will not be involved in scoring packets, but will compile the results. Award nominees will be notified of results no later than March 1 via email. For further questions, please contact the Texas Academy Awards Coordinator, Bridget Swinney, MS, RD, LD at BridgetSwinney@gmail.com.
Award Nomination Packets
Texas Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Awards:
• 2021-2022 TEXAS ACADEMY DISTINGUISHED DIETITIAN AWARD
• 2021-2022 TEXAS DISTINGUISHED SCIENTIST AWARD
• 2021-2022 TEXAS ACADEMY BLUEBONNET AWARD
• 2021-2022 TEXAS ACADEMY MEDIA AWARD
• 2021-2022 TEXAS ACADEMY OUTSTANDING NUTRITION EDUCATION AWARD
• 2021-2022 TEXAS ACADEMY OUTSTANDING PRECEPTOR AWARD
Texas Academy / Academy Affiliate Awards*:
• 2021-2022 RECOGNIZED YOUNG DIETITIAN OF THE YEAR
• 2021-2022 RECOGNIZED DIETETIC TECHNICIAN OF THE YEAR
• 2021-2022 EMERGING DIETETICS LEADER
• 2021-2022 OUTSTANDING DIETETICS STUDENT AWARD
*These awards are part of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Affiliate awards. The winners of the Texas Academy awards will be submitted as candidates for the corresponding Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (Academy) awards following Academy deadlines. The Academy forms (available on the Texas Academy website and the Academy website) will be used for your submissions to Texas Academy in order to comply with the Academy’s specific guidelines. Make sure to follow all the Academy requirements for these awards. Note that on the Academy forms, the term “affiliate” refers to the Texas Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. All award nominations deadlines remain November 15th by 11:59pm regardless of the Academy deadlines.
Nominations for the Outstanding Dietetics Educator Award (ODEA) must be sent directly to the Nutrition and Dietetic Educators and Preceptors (NDEP) Group of the geographic area for review and selection. No nominations for the ODEA will be reviewed through the Texas Academy. For additional information, members should contact firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics website.
If you have any questions about the awards process, please feel free to contact me.
Bridget Swinney, MS, RD, LD
Texas Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Awards Coordinator